BJJ can change your life. In many ways. Here’s the 15 most important benefits of jiu jitsu that I’ve personally experienced:
- Physical fitness: BJJ is a full-body workout that improves cardiovascular health, flexibility, and muscle tone.
- Self-defense: BJJ teaches practical techniques for defending oneself in real-world situations.
- Stress relief: BJJ training can be an outlet for stress and pent-up energy.
- Mental health: BJJ can improve focus, concentration, and confidence.
- Weight loss: BJJ can be an effective way to lose weight and maintain a healthy body composition.
- Flexibility: BJJ training can increase flexibility and range of motion.
- Coordination: BJJ requires coordination and balance, which can be improved through training.
- Camaraderie: BJJ gyms often have a strong sense of community and mutual support.
- Competitive outlet: BJJ provides opportunities for competition, which can be a healthy outlet for those with a competitive streak.
- Fun: BJJ is enjoyable and can be a great hobby for all ages.
- Lifelong learning: BJJ is a journey of learning and self-improvement, which can be an engaging and rewarding experience for people of all ages.
- Practicality: BJJ is a practical martial art that can be used effectively in real-world self-defense situations.
- Functional strength: BJJ training improves functional strength and overall athleticism.
- Confidence: You get a new sense of confidence when you know you can win fights against most people.
- Mental toughness: BJJ training can improve mental toughness and the ability to handle stress and pressure.
What’s the most important benefit for a new white belt?
For most people that begin jiu jitsu, the most important benefits are mental. You learn to stay calm under (physical) pressure, you build confidence , assertiveness and you learn new things.
The other aspects, namely self defense skills and improved fitness, are bonuses.
The more experienced you get, the more value you’ll get from the camaraderie with your training partners. You’ll make friends for life through jiu jitsu.
Also read: 10 ways BJJ boosts your sex life