Mikey Musumeci is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu phenom known for his incredibly detailed teaching style, world-class techniques, and innovative approach to grappling. His instructionals have become a must-have for practitioners looking to elevate their game. In this article, we’ll dive into the world of Mikey Musumeci instructionals, examining his teaching style, best instructionals, and answering some FAQs.
Learn the basic berimbolo from the best guy to ever do it!
Finally Learn The Berimbolo
Who is Mikey Musumeci?
Mikey Musumeci is a decorated Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt and multiple-time world champion. He is known for his technical prowess, innovative techniques, and relentless pursuit of perfection. In addition to his competitive achievements, Mikey has become a sought-after instructor, sharing his knowledge through a variety of instructional series.
Mikey Musumeci’s Teaching Style
Mikey’s teaching style can be characterized as incredibly detailed, breaking down each technique into its fundamental components. He places a strong emphasis on understanding the underlying principles behind each move, rather than simply memorizing sequences. This approach allows students to adapt the techniques to their own style and body type, fostering a deeper comprehension of the art.
Mikey Musumeci’s instructional catalog
Mikey Musumeci’s course catalog currently consists of 2 completed series, and various separate instructionals and partially completed series:
De La Riva System:
- The De La Riva System Part 1: The Foundation by Mikey Musumeci
- The De La Riva System Part 2: Knee Torque, Overhead and Submissions by Mikey Musumeci
- The De La Riva System Part 3: Attacking From Deadlift Base by Mikey Musumeci
- The De La Riva system Part 4: Waiter Underhooking by Mikey Musumeci
- The Berimbolo System Part 1: The Foundation by Mikey Musumeci
- The Berimbolo System Part 2: Crab Ride & Leg Drags by Mikey Musumeci
- The Berimbolo System Part 3: Wedges and Hooks by Mikey Musumeci
- The Berimbolo System Part 4: Defending Gi Leg Locks and Counters by Mikey Musumeci
- No Gi Berimbolo System Part 1 by Mikey Musumeci
Attacking from Guard:
- Foundations of Guard: Attacking by Mikey Musumeci
- The Collar and Sleeve System Part 1: Outside Control On The Knees by Mikey Musumeci
- Collar Sleeve Inside Control System by Mikey Musumeci
- The Knee Shield System Part 1: Attacking Far Side by Mikey Musumeci
- Death From Below by Mikey Musumeci
- K Guard and Matrix System: Attacking The Legs From The Knees Part 1 by Mikey Musumeci
- Leg Pummeling Mastery by Mikey Musumeci
- The Mikey Lock by Mikey Musumeci
Guard Retention, Passing, Back takes:
- Power Switch Guard Retention and Genius Back Takes by Mikey Musumeci
- Foundations of Passing: Neutralizing The Guard by Mikey Musumeci
My Personal Review of Mikey Musumeci’s Instructionals
I have had the pleasure of watching Mikey Musumeci’s full Berimbolo series, parts of his De La Riva (DLR) system, and multiple leg lock instructionals. His unique approach to instruction and attention to detail have left a lasting impression on me.
One aspect I particularly appreciate is how Mikey distinguishes between different situations, which he refers to as “two worlds.” For example, he often discusses the “near hip and far hip world” and the “weight on the hands vs weight in the hips world.” This approach simplifies complex situations, making it easier for practitioners to understand and apply the techniques in real-life scenarios.
However, as a caveat, I must mention that Mikey’s thoroughness in covering numerous “two world” distinctions can occasionally feel overwhelming, as you may feel like you’re dealing with 2^25 worlds (so about 33 million different situations). But this level of detail is precisely why his instructionals are so comprehensive and extensive.
In conclusion, I wholeheartedly recommend Mikey Musumeci’s instructionals to anyone looking to improve their Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu game. His attention to detail and expertise in the topics he teaches are unparalleled, making him one of the best instructors in the world. If you’re serious about elevating your skills, don’t miss the opportunity to learn from one of the greatest minds in the sport.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Are Mikey Musumeci’s instructionals suitable for beginners?
A: Absolutely! Mikey’s teaching style is incredibly detailed and focuses on principles, making his instructionals suitable for practitioners of all levels, including beginners.
Q: Do I need to know any specific techniques before diving into Mikey Musumeci’s instructionals?
A: While prior knowledge of specific techniques is not a prerequisite, having a basic understanding of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu positions and movements will be helpful. Mikey’s instructionals are designed to be accessible, but a foundational knowledge of BJJ will allow you to grasp the concepts more quickly and apply them effectively.
Q: What makes Mikey Musumeci’s instructionals stand out from other BJJ instructional content?
A: Mikey Musumeci’s instructionals are known for their incredible attention to detail, focus on principles, and innovative techniques. This combination makes his instructionals a valuable resource for practitioners looking to deepen their understanding of BJJ and elevate their game to new heights.
Q: Can I expect to see immediate improvements in my game after watching Mikey Musumeci’s instructionals?
A: While Mikey’s instructionals can provide valuable insights and techniques that may lead to improvements, it’s important to remember that progress in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu takes time and consistent practice. Incorporating the techniques and concepts from Mikey’s instructionals into your regular training routine will give you the best chance at seeing significant improvements in your game.